The Just Transition Partnership team
The Just Transition Partnership team supports regional partners to understand, plan and navigate their transition in a way that is fair and equitable – a just transition.
On this page
The Just Transition Partnership team works across government, across portfolios and agency boundaries to:
- support regions to plan effectively in response to major economic shocks,
- align the interests of iwi, regions, sectors, and communities into partnerships that have an agreed vision and pathways to success
- works alongside other government agencies active in a region to ensure planning and implementation are aligned with central government objectives and funding streams.
What regions are you currently supporting?
We are currently supporting two regions to undertake a just transition:
- Taranaki, to adapt to the ban on new permits to drill for oil or gas offshore in New Zealand.
- Southland, to adapt to the planned closure of the New Zealand Aluminium Smelter at Tiwai Point.
View more about these transitions and how the Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is leading this work for New Zealand.
Just Transitions for Southland
How we work
Text description of diagram
Resources and supporting documents
Cabinet and government documents
- Just transition to a low emissions economy strategic discussion Cabinet Paper Annex 1 [PDF 183KB]
- Just Transition Academic Round Table Key Themes [PDF 148KB]
- Just Transition Unit papers released under the Official Information Act [PDF 11MB]
- Just Transition Unit presentation - November 2018 [PDF 1.9MB]
- Just Transitions: Report back and next steps [PDF 513KB]
- Just Transitions: Report back and next steps - Minute of Decision [PDF 227KB]
Links to useful resources and examples
- Guide to local and regional recovery and reimagination and case studies from around NZ(external link) — Economic Development NZ
- Multi-stakeholder Partnership Guide and Toolbox(external link) — MSPguide.org
- Future’s thinking toolbox(external link) — Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Ngai Tahu’s Climate Change Strategy(external link) — Ngai Tahu website
- Taranaki 2050 Metrics and Evaluation Transition Pathway Action Plan [PDF 1.93MB](external link)
- Kotahi Paper for Te Tau Ihu Strategy on Wellbeing and outcomes measuring framework [PDF 900KB](external link)
- Energy's role in climate change(external link) — Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority
- Kānoa, MBIE’s Regional Economic Development and Investment Unit(external link)
- Regional Skills Leadership Groups
- Climate Action Toolkit(external link) — business.govt.nz
- Industry policy