Building and construction
Well-functioning housing and construction markets support growth in productivity and employment, and affect macroeconomic stability, health, security, and social cohesion.
Government has a significant programme of work to support the building and construction sector to lift performance.
All building work in New Zealand must meet certain requirements to achieve safe, healthy, durable homes and buildings. These requirements support our goal to grow New Zealand for all.
Since the first Canterbury earthquakes in 2010, we have investigated the impact and developed resources and guidance to help with the rebuild.
From time to time we seek public comment on a specific issue relating to the building industry through a formal consultation process.
We want New Zealand to have safe, healthy, durable homes and buildings. This page provides information about our investigations and reviews for safer buildings.
New pool safety legislation came into effect on 1 January 2017.
The regulation of people in building trades and professions aims to ensure the people responsible for work done are competent and accountable.
These statistics relate to claims that have met the eligibility criteria set out in the Weathertight Homes Resolution Services Act 2006.
We’re working to reduce emissions from buildings during their construction and operation, and also ensure New Zealand’s buildings are resilient enough to withstand changing climate conditions.
The purpose of the Building System Insights Programme (BSIP) is to conduct strategic research and evaluation, which provides sector intelligence and insights, to inform the implementation and effective delivery of the Building System Regulatory Strategy.
- Building and Construction Sector Trends Reporting Package
- Building for the Future Indicators Explorer
- Construction Workforce Projections
- COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on building system actors
- Evaluation of the Building Consent System
- Monitoring the efficiency of building consent processes for new Kāinga Ora public housing
- National Construction Pipeline Report
- State of the Building and Construction Sector
- Trends in the importation of building and construction products