Managed isolation and quarantine data
Data and statistics about managed isolation and quarantine in New Zealand.
Find our daily snapshot data below. We improved the format of these on Friday 4 December 2020. See the PDF links at the bottom of this page if you would like to see previous versions.
The daily snapshot below shows room occupancy rates in our facilities, MIAS voucher allocations and availability as well as the number of returnees who have been through the facilities. It also includes the Ministry of Health testing data and any incident reports of key updates regarding Managed Isolation and Quarantine.
Take in to consideration the following explanations when analysing this information.
Focus on 14 days:
- Rooms in our facilities are occupied for a minimum of 14 days with additional time needed for cleaning and maintenance. As such, when looking at room availability we need to consider this full 14 day period as opposed to room occupancy on any single day. Rooms that are vacant today may be needed for an incoming flight tomorrow, so are not actually available.
Forecast over capacity:
- From time-to-time MIQ may forecast to exceed its listed operational capacity. We know that for various reasons, such as international travel volatility, that not all people who currently have MIAS vouchers will use them. Based on these factors, we release additional vouchers to ensure we can utilise the full available capacity.
- In addition, we may access our contingency for short periods if this allows us to manage a short-term peak in arrivals. This is only done for short periods as the contingency is primarily needed for unforeseen events or if some people may need to stay for longer than expected.
MIAS vouchers availability:
- This report outlines the number of MIAS vouchers available for booking online at a point-in-time. This may be out of date when this information is accessed, so regularly check MIAS if you are looking for vouchers. We know that for various reasons, such as international travel volatility, that not all people who currently have MIAS vouchers will use them. Vouchers are regularly released as they become available (i.e. if someone cancels their voucher).
Latest daily factsheet
Released at: 22/01/2021
Managed isolation allocations: 14 day forecast
As at 23:59 21 January 2021
|Current Rooms Allocated||3,037||197||264||76||865||4,439|
14-Day Peak Allocated 4,561
Managed Isolation Allocation System (MIAS) rooms allocated
Rooms in our managed isolation facilities are needed for 14 days. The below graph illustrates room allocation rates over the coming weeks. If the room allocation rate is projected to reach the operational capacity level in the next 14 days, no additional rooms can be allocated in the days leading up to this peak. See the explanatory notes above for further explanation.
Text version of MIAS rooms allocated
MIAS allocations overview - as at 08:00AM 22 JAN 2021
Allocations available to 5 February: 0
Occupancy and returnee overview
Number of people currently in Managed Isolation facilities: 5,638
Number of people currently in Quarantine facilities: 144
Projected Returnees – Next 14 days: 5,541
Total number of people through MI & Q facilities since 26 March 2020: 101,131
Incident reports and key messages
This section reports on any incidents in the last 24 hours that present a potential or actual risk to public health and any key messages about MIQ.
22 January 2021 – No incidents to report.
Spaces in managed isolation are extremely limited until March, but may become available as travel plans change. We recommend you continue checking the Managed Isolation Allocation System for your preferred date.
Ministry of Health COVID-19 testing data
As at 23:59 21 January 2021
|Total number of tests conducted nationwide in the past 24 hours||4,305|
|Day 3 and Day 12 swabs together recorded in MI & Q facilities in the past 24 hours||1411|
|Total confirmed cases identified at MI & Q facilities||591|
|Current active cases identified at MI & Q facilities||73|
This report reflects a snapshot at a point time from various operational data sources.
- MIQ daily update 22 January 2021 [PDF 574KB]
- MIQ daily update 21 January 2021 [PDF 565KB]
- MIQ daily update 20 January 2021 [PDF 558KB]
- MIQ daily update 19 January 2021 [PDF 572KB]
- MIQ daily update 18 January 2021 [PDF 571KB]
- MIQ daily update 17 January 2021 (corrected 18 January 2021) [PDF 495KB]
- MIQ daily update 16 January 2021 [PDF 238KB]
- MIQ daily update 15 January 2021 [PDF 493KB]
- MIQ daily update 14 January 2021 [PDF 495KB]
- MIQ daily update 13 January 2021 [PDF 237KB]
- MIQ daily update 12 January 2021 [PDF 493KB]
- MIQ daily update 11 January 2021 [PDF 494KB]
- MIQ daily update 10 January 2021 [PDF 496KB]
- MIQ daily update 9 January 2021 [PDF 499KB]
- MIQ daily update 8 January 2021 [PDF 496KB]
- MIQ daily update 7 January 2021 [PDF 497KB]
- MIQ daily update 6 January 2021 [PDF 497KB]
- MIQ daily update 5 January 2021 [PDF 575KB]
- MIQ daily update 4 January 2021 [PDF 249KB]
- MIQ daily update 31 December 2020 [PDF 501KB]