Who we are
Everything we do at MBIE is about growing New Zealand for all. We recognise that a strong economy is one in which we use the skills, knowledge and time of our people in conjunction with our natural resources, and financial and physical capital to improve the wellbeing of current and future generations.
Our strategy – Te Ara Amiorangi
Our strategy identifies where we need to focus our efforts to deliver for New Zealanders and the Government. Te Ara Amiorangi identifies where we need to collectively focus and the capabilities we need to further develop to ensure MBIE continues to ‘Grow New Zealand for all’.
Our purpose – Grow New Zealand for all
'Grow' relates to economic performance. To achieve the standard of living and quality of life for today and for future generations we need a well-performing economy through productive and sustainable use of resources across New Zealand.
‘For all’ means all people have an opportunity to participate in and benefit from the economy.
These aspirations are echoed in our Māori identity – Hīkina Whakatutuki – which broadly means ‘lifting to make successful'.
Our collective focus areas
To position New Zealand for future success, MBIE needs to focus on:
- Transition Pathways | Reset the post-COVID-19 economy towards a high value, high employment and low emission society
- People Centred | People are at the centre of the design and delivery of our services
- Partner with Māori | Partner and collaborate with Māori to achieve their economic, employment and wellbeing aspirations
- Regulatory Stewardship | Deliver a robust, agile and fair regulatory environment, that supports New Zealand’s economic recovery
Our capability priorities
By identifying the competencies we need to develop to strengthen MBIE, we ensure we can deliver on our strategy and continue to ‘Grow New Zealand for all’:
- Our people | MBIE is the place people want to work
- Financial Sustainability | We use our resources effectively and efficiently to deliver our outcomes
- Impact through others | Developing collaborative and enduring partnerships to expand our reach and impact
- Digitally enabled | We make it easy for people to work with us and for us
- Empowered by data | We are a data and evidence led organisation
- Thought leadership | We are leaders of thinking and delivery for the economic wellbeing of New Zealand and New Zealanders
Our values help guide us to be the best organisation we can be, both as a place to work and for the people we serve.
- Māia – Bold & Brave
Tāwhia tō mana kia mau, kia māia
Retain and hold fast to your mana, be bold, be brave
- Mahi Tahi - Better Together
Mā mahi tahi, ka ora, ka puāwai
By working together we will flourish and achieve greatness
- Pae Kahurangi – Build Our Future
Ka huri taku aro ki te pae kahurangi, kei reira te oranga mōku
We turn our attention to the future, that’s where the opportunities lie
- Pono me te Tika – Own It
Ā mātou mahi katoa, ka pono, ka tika
Taking responsibility to commit to doing things right
Our outcomes framework describes what success looks like for New Zealanders if MBIE is achieving its purpose of ‘Grow New Zealand for all’.
For us, success looks like:
- Prosperous and adaptable people, sectors and regions
- People are skilled and engaged in safe and fulfilling work
- Informed consumers and businesses interacting with confidence
- Value is sustainably derived from the natural environment
- A dynamic business environment fostering innovation and international connections.
In this section
Our senior leadership team works collaboratively to set and guide our strategic direction.
We help to Grow New Zealand for All to improve the well-being of New Zealanders. This page provides information about our business groups.
This page provides links to our corporate publications - our Statement of Intent and Annual Report - and Occasional Papers.
We work with ministers across a range of portfolios and votes.
We engage independent external boards to help shape and guide our work.
We monitor Crown Research Institutes, Crown entity companies, statutory entities and Schedule 4A non-listed companies.
We manage the board appointment process for a number of Crown entities, statutory bodies and advisory boards on behalf of the responsible ministers.