Our role is to create better outcomes for all New Zealanders, particularly by supporting business growth.
We are responsible for the delivery of advice, regulation and services that have a real impact on people, businesses and the environment within which they operate.
We provide advice and support to help New Zealand businesses get started, grow, innovate and raise their capability. We also work with other agencies to design and deliver services to businesses in better and smarter ways.
We provide advice on the Commerce Act and the application of competition policy to specific sectors. We’re also the monitoring agency for the Commerce Commission.
This section relates to the laws on how entities, including companies, incorporated societies, building societies and limited partnerships, are created, administered and wound up.
- Incorporated Societies Act 2022
- Our work with the PCO
- Financial Reporting Act 2013
- Insolvency Review Working Group
- Supporting the integrity of the corporate governance system
- Changes to the Takeovers Code
- Historic reform of corporate law
- Mandatory climate-related disclosures
- Large organisations to disclose information about their payment practices
Our Trade and International team is responsible for overseeing standards and conformance infrastructure in New Zealand and advising the Government on related policy.
Intellectual property refers to new or original innovations and creations of the mind.
- Haka Ka Mate Attribution Act guidelines
- Geographical indications
- Plant variety rights
- Integrated circuit design protection
- Intellectual property enforcement
- Mātauranga and Taonga Māori and the Intellectual Property System
- Disclosure of origin requirements in the patents regime
- Proposed Intellectual Property Laws Amendment Bill
- The Trans-Tasman patent attorney registration regime