Reactivating Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland package
This support package will help revive economic, social and cultural activities in New Zealand’s largest city over summer, and ensure those in hardship also get relief.
The Auckland region has been significantly impacted by the COVID-19 Alert Level restrictions. The extended periods at higher Alert Level restrictions have had a direct negative impact on the local economy and the community’s wellbeing. As Auckland moves into the new COVID-19 Protection Framework, there is a need to encourage Aucklanders to re-engage with the region to boost social well-being, with the additional benefit of stimulating economic activity this summer.
About the package
Reactivating Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland provides $37.5 million of funding to the following key components:
- $12 million for a voucher and discount programme Explore Tāmaki Makaurau this summer, to encourage families and individuals to visit commercial attractions and council-owned facilities.
- Auckland residents will be able to register interest for a voucher from 15 December and Auckland Unlimited will begin allocating the vouchers through an online platform in mid-January. Vouchers will be redeemable until the end of April 2022.
- Auckland Unlimited will ensure they distribute vouchers fairly across households in the region.
- Attraction and activity operators who want to be part of the scheme will have to opt-in.
- $10 million for a Local Activation Programme for programmes that are free to the public in town centres, venues and locations across Auckland, such as events organised by business associations, community groups, and cultural organisations.
- Funding will be provided to events and activities scheduled between 15 December 2021 and 3 April 2022.
- Applications for funding open mid-December 2021 with funding available from 15 December 2021.
- $2.5 million for a promotional and marketing campaign by Auckland Unlimited to promote the voucher and discount programme and the local activation programme, as well as encourage visitors from both the region and further afield.
- $12 million funding for foodbanks and community food organisations. It is estimated this could translate to roughly 84,000 food parcels.
- $1 million for Auckland Unlimited to deliver all aspects of the package, except the funding for foodbanks which will be delivered through the Ministry of Social Development.
Implementation of the package
The package has been developed in collaboration with the Auckland City Council and Auckland Unlimited. All components, except the funding for foodbanks and community food organisations, will be delivered by Auckland Unlimited.
Further information is on Auckland Unlimited’s website
The $12 million of immediate funding to foodbanks and community food organisations will be allocated through the Ministry of Social Development Food Secure Communities Programme.
Further information will be available on the Ministry of Social Development’s website shortly.