New Zealand Energy Quarterly - December 2018
The New Zealand Energy Quarterly provides quarterly data and analysis on energy supply, demand and pricing across various commodities. This edition was released on 14 March 2019.
December quarter 2018
Energy Quarterly: 2018 Q4 report [PDF, 82 KB]
ISSN 1178-2714 (online)
The New Zealand Energy Quarterly provides quarterly data and analysis on energy supply, demand, prices and associated greenhouse gas emissions. This publication is part of the suite of energy publications produced by the Energy and Building Trends Team of the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment.
The main highlights for the December 2018 quarter are:
- Renewable sources accounted for 85% of electricity generation
- Hydro generation was up 1.6% compared to the December quarter 2017 and geothermal generation rose by 7%
- Coal fired generation was up 84% and gas fired generation was down 38% over the same period
- Reductions in production at Pohokura contributed to an overall 21% reduction in gas supply for the quarter
- Fuel prices rose for the quarter, with petrol being up 11% from December 2017, and diesel rising 24%.
For more detailed data, see the relevant page: