New Zealand Energy Quarterly
The New Zealand Energy Quarterly provides quarterly data and analysis on energy supply, demand, prices and associated greenhouse gas emissions. This page has the current edition.
Current Energy Quarterly publication
The current edition of Energy Quarterly is for the September quarter (Q3) 2019. It was released on 12 December 2019. The next Energy Quarterly will be released on 12 March 2020.
Energy Quarterly: 2019 Q3 report [PDF, 544 KB]
ISSN 1178-2714 (online)
The main highlights for this quarter are:
- Overall electricity generation was at its highest level since 2011
- Renewable sources accounted for 80.8 per cent of electricity generation this quarter, a decrease from 84.8 percent from the same quarter last year
- Nationally, hydro generation compared to the same quarter a year ago fell by 6.7 per cent, but it was down by almost 19 per cent in the North Island
- Wind generation reached a record high for any September quarter, while coal-fired generation was more than double that recorded a year earlier and gas-fired generation rose by 13 per cent
- Electricity consumption was up by 2 per cent on September 2018 as demand rose across all sectors
- Fuel prices fell, with petrol falling 4 per cent and diesel 7 per cent
For more detailed data, see the relevant page:
In this section
The past 2 years' editions of the New Zealand Energy Quarterly
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence(external link).