New Zealand Energy Quarterly
The New Zealand Energy Quarterly provides quarterly data and analysis on energy supply, demand, prices and associated greenhouse gas emissions. This page has the current edition.
Current Energy Quarterly publication
The current edition of Energy Quarterly is for the April to June quarter (Q2) 2023. It was released on 14 September 2023. The next Energy Quarterly will be released on 14 December 2023.
Main highlights for this quarter
- The April to June quarter saw 91 percent electricity generation from renewable sources, the highest for a June quarter on record.
- High rainfall levels led to an increase in hydro generation, up 25.2 percent on June 2022 quarter.
- Less gas was used for electricity generation, down 45.7 percent from the same quarter last year.
- Coal generation was down 71.7 percent from the same quarter last year.
- Industrial coal use also dropped 22.6 percent from the same quarter last year.
Read the media release for this quarter:
Access the data
For more detailed data, see the relevant page:
In this section
You can view previous years' editions of the New Zealand Energy Quarterly here.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence(external link).