New Zealand Energy Quarterly
The New Zealand Energy Quarterly provides quarterly data and analysis on energy supply, demand, prices and associated greenhouse gas emissions. This page has the current edition.
Current Energy Quarterly publication
The current edition of Energy Quarterly is for the June quarter (Q2) 2022. It was released on 8 September 2022. The next Energy Quarterly will be released on 8 December 2022.
Main highlights for this quarter
- The renewable share of electricity generation for the quarter was 81%, 6% higher than a year ago
- Hydro generation was 7.5% higher than in the June 2021 quarter, and generation from wind and geothermal was up 8% and 5.3% respectively
- The increase in hydro and wind generation led to a decreased reliance on fossil fuels for electricity generation. Electricity generated from coal dropped by 61.9% compared to the previous June quarter
- Overall electricity consumption fell by 3.3% on the previous June quarter, driven by decreases in all sectors
- Although coal imports were down 36% on the previous June quarter, it was at the second highest quarterly level on record
- The Marsden Point refinery closed on 1 April 2022. This led to petrol and diesel imports increased by 104% and 148% respectively on the previous June quarter. Jet-A1 imports increased to 1.3 million barrels from an average of 0.3 million barrels per quarter for the past 5 years
- A scheduled outage on the Maui field led to low production of natural gas, and the chemical sector cut consumption accordingly. Natural gas production was down by 11% on the previous June quarter.
Access the data
The dashboard brings together a range of energy related datasets produced by MBIE and others into one easy-to-use tool which gives users easy access to energy related data for New Zealand.
We are constantly improving this dashboard based on user's feedback. Details of how to give feedback are included within the tool.
For more detailed data, see the relevant page:
In this section
The past 2 years' editions of the New Zealand Energy Quarterly
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand Licence(external link).