The Better Work Action Plan Leadership Group are working through implementation planning.
Successful implementation will require ongoing input and support from industry, unions, Māori, and government.
Indicative timelines for implementation of all initiatives are set out in Appendix 1 of the Better Work Action Plan:
An update and further information on specific initiatives in the Better Work Action Plan is set out below.
South Westland Jobs for Nature Outcomes Assessment
The Better Work Leadership Group commissioned Allen + Clarke to undertake an outcomes assessment of the South Westland Jobs for Nature (J4N) project.
South Westland J4N project(external link) — Department of Conservation (DOC)
DOC focused on workforce sharing between the tourism and conservation workforces. The outcomes assessment looked at the social, human, and economic impacts of the South Westland J4N project and the effectiveness of the joint workforce model.
Several positive outcomes are noted in the report, including that the South Westland J4N project:
- supported workforce and job security
- retained skilled workers in the area
- promoted social cohesion
- enabled businesses in the region to remain economically viable
- improved the tourism offering of the region
- benefitted individuals, including their physical, mental, and economic wellbeing, particularly during the COVID-19 period.
The findings in this report will be considered and used to inform any further work on employee-sharing models.
You can access the full report at:
Digital Boost tourism and hospitality content
Digital Boost is a free, video-based, learn in your own time website that aims to support small businesses across Aotearoa who are looking to digitise their business.
A suite of videos has been created and added to the Digital Boost platform to inform tourism and hospitality staff and businesses across New Zealand about digital tools that they could use to boost productivity.
The new tourism and hospitality series contains:
- 60 videos, including 40 ‘how-to’ videos on using relevant digital tools and apps
- 20 real world stories about tourism businesses who have transformed their business by using digital tools to increase efficiency and productivity.
To access this content, visit: