International Visitor Survey data release materials
On this page we provide a link to the new data visualisations for the September 2022 quarter and outline reasons for changes to published outputs. High level summaries of previous releases are also provided
2022 Quarter 3 release
From Quarter 3 2022, previously released formats have been replaced by new data visualisations which can be found on the Tourism Evidence and Insights Centre (TEIC).
The break in the historical series, and the lower number of visitors to New Zealand compared with pre-pandemic levels, have resulted in some changes to published outputs for the September quarter from what was previously published. High level results are published for this quarter only.
Spend data comparisons with previous years will be made once visitor numbers stabilise. Differences between current levels of spend and historic levels are threefold. Sample sizes are currently small except for Australian business travellers. The composition of purpose of visit has not yet stabilised, with a higher than usual number of visitors travelling to visit friends and family. Additionally, the survey is designed around an annual dataset and there is currently only a quarters worth of data.
2020 and previous releases
International Visitor Survey (IVS) data is presented in the following user-friendly formats.
- Infographic: provides a visual summary of international visitor expenditure and arrival numbers by key markets.
- Key data table: provides a summary of international visitor expenditure by key markets and purpose of visit.
- Pivot tables: provide estimates of international visitor expenditure, and margins of error, by key overseas markets and purpose of visit for every year.
September 2019 data release
Please exercise caution when using Chinese expenditure estimates this quarter.
For the September 2019 quarter, the sample size for visitors from China was smaller compared to previous quarters (97 respondents against our target of 275). The IVS data is collected through a voluntary survey that visitors are encouraged to complete. The quality of the data relies in getting an appropriate sample size for the segment we're measuring. We're working with our service provider to investigate the reasons for the low sample size, and how to ensure better response rates in the future.
The IVS data is presented as an annual figure that includes results from the last four quarters. For the September 2018 quarter, spend figures for Chinese visitors were lower than other quarters. Given that the lower-spend September 2018 quarter is no longer included in the annual result for the year ended September 2019, this has led to a corresponding rise in Chinese spend.
Data summaries from earlier releases are grouped below by year and summary type.
December 2018 data release
September 2018 data release
June 2018 data release
March 2018 data release
December 2017 data release
September 2017 data release
June 2017 data release
2016 key data tables
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending December 2016 [PDF 190KB]
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending September 2016 [PDF 171KB]
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending June 2016 [PDF 172KB]
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending March 2016 [PDF 186KB]
2015 key data tables
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending December 2015 [PDF 193KB]
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending September 2015 [PDF 186KB]
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending June 2015 [PDF 191KB]
- International Visitor Survey: Key data - Year-ending March 2015 [PDF 182KB]