- A Nation of Curious Minds – He Whenua Hihiri i te Mahara
- CREST Awards
- Participatory Science Platform
- Powering Potential programme
- Prime Minister's Science Prizes
- Rutherford Medal
- Science Media Centre
- Science Learning Hub
- Science Teaching Leadership Programme
- Talented School Students Travel Awards
- Unlocking Curious Minds contestable fund
- Curious Minds
CREST is an international awards scheme that encourages students in years 0 to 13 to solve problems in science, technology and environmental studies with innovative and creative approaches.
CREST is a framework for creative and practical student projects through Inquiry Learning where, at all levels, students learn skills through authentic experiences in:
- technological practice and/or scientific investigation
- carrying out projects focusing on finding creative solutions to problems that are of real significance in their lives
- creative and innovative thinking
- developing enterprise and entrepreneurial skills
- working with experts.
CREST operates at 5 levels of difficulty where the students work as individuals or in small teams.
- Primary CREST(external link) — Contextualised and teacher-led activities.
- First and Team First CREST(external link) — First and Team First are awards for practical projects.
- Bronze and Team Bronze CREST(external link) — Bronze and Team Bronze are awards for more independent projects.
- Silver and Team Silver CREST(external link) — Silver and Team Silver are awards for challenging projects.
- Gold and Team Gold CREST(external link) — Gold and Team Gold awards are for advanced projects.
Students begin with small entry-level projects and build up to large research or technological practice projects that can take up to 18 months at Gold level, and have the potential for major new discoveries. At the end of completed projects each student receives a badge and certificate and, in the case of Gold CREST, a medal.
CREST is an ideal opportunity for multiple assessment: NCEA credits, Duke of Edinburgh Hillary Awards, showcasing completed projects at regional science and technology fairs, and other science and technology competitions.
Part funded by MBIE, the CREST Awards are managed by the Royal Society Te Apārangi.
CREST Awards(external link) — The Royal Society Te Apārangi