Tourism sector report
The 2013 tourism report provides an in-depth look into how our tourism sector was performing. The report is 1 of 7 publications in the New Zealand Sectors Report Series.
2013 tourism sector report
A number of themes in the tourism sector are highlighted in the 2013 report, including:
- The industry has been remarkably resilient in the wake of a number of shocks, including the global financial crisis and the Christchurch earthquakes.
- Domestic tourism accounted for 59% of all visitor expenditure in 2013.
- The tourism sector relies heavily on air connectivity, but this also helps to underwrite a lot of the cost of airfreight for many of our exports.
- Globally, more people are travelling but competition is increasing, which is increasing the need for innovation and demand-led product development.
- Australia and China are our 2 largest visitor markets, with 1.2 million Australian visitors and 210,000 Chinese visitors coming to New Zealand in 2013.