We provide advice to the Minister for Small Business and secretariat services for the Small Business Council.
Small business in New Zealand
Small businesses of less than 20 employees are an important part of the New Zealand economy. According to the latest data from Statistics New Zealand, they account for:
- 97% (487,602) of all enterprises
- 29% (599,880) of all employees
- an estimated 26% of New Zealand’s Gross Domestic Product.
Small Business Council
The Small Business Council was formed in 2018 for 12 months to provide advice to the Minister for Small Business on:
- a segmented definition for the small business sector
- a Small Business Strategy
- the ongoing purpose and functions of the Council beyond the initial 12-month appointment
- the establishment of a small business institute.
Latest Council minutes
Read the latest minutes of the Small Business Council:
For more information on New Zealand's small businesses read our Small Business report and factsheet series:
New Zealand's Support for Small Business has more information on government agencies' support for small businesses:
The Small Business Development Group was dis-established in 2017. Read their report and the Government response: