The QTR covers the performance of the tourism sector over the last year. The report draws on data from a range of sources, Including:
International Visitor Survey
The International Visitor Survey (IVS) was developed to provide accurate, quarterly, national information on the expenditure of international visitors to New Zealand, as well as their behaviours and characteristics. In particular, the main purpose of the IVS is:
- to measure the total annual expenditure by international visitors in New Zealand.
In addition, the IVS:
- provides data for determining the exports of travel services in the Balance of Payments, and tourism expenditure in the Tourism Satellite Account (TSA)
- measures the amount of expenditure per visitor for the top six key international markets (Australia, China, USA, UK, Germany and Japan)
- determines the activities international visitors participate in, the transport and accommodation types used, and places visited
- provides demographic information about international visitors, their motivations for visiting New Zealand, and their satisfaction with their visit.
Monthly Regional Tourism Estimates
The Monthly Regional Tourism Estimates (MRTEs) provides estimates of regional tourism spend for international and domestic travellers, broken down by country of origin and tourism product. The estimates are developed using:
- a subset of all electronic card transactions to estimate regional tourism spend
- tourism spend by country from the International Visitor Survey
- forecasted provisional total tourism spend values from the TSA.
International Travel and Migration Statistics
International Travel and Migration Statistics are produced by Stats NZ from arrival and departure card information. This data provides the number of overseas visitors, New Zealand resident travellers, and permanent and long-term migrants entering or leaving New Zealand.
The Accommodation Survey is run by Stats NZ by surveying all economically significant hotels, motels, holiday parks and backpackers in New Zealand. The survey provides information about short-term commercial accommodation activity at national, regional, and lower levels. Statistics include guest night numbers, capacity, and occupancy rates.
Immigration New Zealand dataset
Immigration New Zealand provides data for people arriving in New Zealand on visas.