Quality data and information informs strategic direction, sets investment priorities and improves business decision-making. On this page you can find information and data on the science and innovation sector.
We will add to this section as we work on improving information and data, particularly with the development of a National Research Information System (NRIS).
Science and Innovation System Performance Report
The Research Science and Innovation System Performance Report is a snapshot of how the New Zealand science and innovation system is performing in major areas. It covers people, skills, knowledge, infrastructure and funding across government, education and business.
The report is intended to be a resource for the many people and institutions who contribute to the performance of the science and innovation system.
Its purpose is to:
- increase transparency by publishing regular data on expenditure, outputs, impacts and performance of the science and innovation system
- inform government policy decisions and longer-term strategy
- report on progress against government goals
- highlight strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities in the system and stimulate discussion among policymakers, funders, researcher institutes, businesses and ‘end-users’ to improve system performance.
National Statement of Science Investment
The National Statement of Science Investment (2015) sets the vision for comprehensive evaluation and monitoring of sector performance.
Research, Science and Innovation Domain Plan
The Research, Science and Innovation Domain Plan puts forward a:
- long-term picture of what is required to improve official statistics, data and information on research, science and innovation
- coordinated plan for addressing issues
- cross-agency approach to long-term statistical, data and information priorities.
Research and development data
Statistics New Zealand conducts a survey of research and development (R&D). You can find out about the R&D workforce, funding, research activity, and information about how businesses work with universities and Crown research institutes. This survey enables comparisons between countries because it is based on the international Frascati Manual.
Business growth and innovation data
Statistics New Zealand conducts a business survey that includes statistics about business growth and innovation. You can find details about commitment and barriers to innovation, use of information and communications technology, turnover and profitability, management practices and behaviours, and financing arrangements.
Business expenditure on research and development (BERD)
We are looking to improve data, including developing a way to determine a reliable annual figure for business expenditure on research and development (BERD). The Government hopes to increase BERD with the right policy settings.