Tūhura Tuarangi – Aotearoa in Space exhibition
Discover interactive exhibition Tūhura Tuarangi – Aotearoa in Space in a city or town near you.
Interactive exhibition Tūhura Tuarangi – Aotearoa in Space will tour New Zealand in 2022 and 2023, giving kiwi kids a taste of space and New Zealand innovation.
This hands on showcase, developed by Otago Museum with funding and support from MBIE, is designed to excite students in years 5 to 9 about space, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths), and space related careers.
Topics covered in Tūhura Tuarangi are almost as vast as space itself, from the New Zealand government’s first space mission MethaneSAT, which links New Zealand researchers with world leading atmospheric scientists to help combat global warming, to the important role that mātauranga Māori has had in our understanding and discovery of space.
New Zealand has a long history with space and is the birthplace of many entrepreneurs who are creating and innovating to improve our lives on Earth. This exhibition connects students in New Zealand’s towns and cities with the burgeoning space sector, detailing the skills and knowledge students need to pursue a career in space.
Tūhura Tuarangi – Aotearoa in Space is complemented by a range of teaching resources developed by the Science Learning Hub in collaboration with New Zealand scientists, engineers and mātauranga experts. These resources received funding from MBIE and are freely available online. Access the Science Learning Hub here:
Science Learning Hub – Pokapū Akoranga Pūtaiao(external link) — sciencelearn.org.nz
Get inspired by space in a town or city near you!
Note: this is a provisional schedule, times and locations may change. For up to date or additional information please email email@example.com.
- 1 to 28 October 2022, Otago Museum, Otago
- 31 October to 1 November 2022, Te Rau Aroha Marae, Bluff
- 1 to 3 November 2022, Queenstown, Wanaka, Omakau, Ranfurly, Dunedin
- 2 to 5 November 2022, James Hargest College, Invercargill
- 10 to 11 November 2022, Pembroke Primary, Oamaru
- 21 to 22 November 2022, Cromwell Primary, Cromwell
- 23 to 25 November 2022, Mount Aspiring College, Wānaka
- December 2022 TBC, Queenstown
- 24 December 2022 to 29 January 2023, Ashburton Museum, Ashburton
- 10 to 27 February 2023, Tūrangi/Library, Christchurch
- April 2023, Space Place, Wellington
- May 2023, Hawkes Bay/East Cape TBC
- June 2023, Bay of Plenty/Waikato TBC
- 2 September to 8 October 2023, Te Manawa Museum, Palmerston North
- 9 October to 20 December 2023, Taranaki and Northland TBC