Transition Fund for Local Authorities
The Freedom Camping Transition Fund provides $10 million of funding ($5 million each year) to support local authorities to undertake activities relating to the transition to the new freedom camping rules during 2022/23 and 2023/24. This funding is contestable.
The first round of funding will be available for activities to the end of September 2023. Details for a further round of funding will be advised in due course.
About the Fund
Funding is to support the transition from the existing freedom camping system to the new freedom camping rules. Examples of eligible projects include, but not limited to:
- Educational programmes: such as posters, pamphlets or cost of staff brought on for communicating the new changes
- Camping ambassadors (for education and/or enforcement purposes)
- Creation of bylaws, including, but not limited to, drafting and consulting on bylaws
- Freedom Camping projects/initiatives relating to major events, such as but not exclusive to the FIFA Women’s World Cup, which meet the purpose of the Fund
Funding will not be provided for:
- Initiatives not from councils (for example, initiatives from peak bodies or industry)
- Infrastructure and ongoing operational costs that do not align with the purpose of fund (e.g servicing of freedom camping facilities, rental of freedom camping facilities, but does allow for the funding of camping ambassadors)
Priorities for funding
Priority for funding will be given to councils:
- Who can show their area/communities are highly impacted by freedom camping;
- that do not currently have an existing freedom camping bylaw and can clearly demonstrate why they require support for bylaw development in addition to their current resources.
- Though not a requirement for the fund, the ability to supplement proposed projects with co-funding will strengthen the consideration of applications as part of the decision-making process (however the intent is not to exclude those councils with low ratepayer bases who may be unable to provide any co-funding).
When to apply
Applications open on Wednesday, 14 September 2022 and close on Tuesday, 4 October 2022. Decisions are expected in early November 2022.
Send the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5.00pm on 4 October 2022.