Employment and skills
Employment legislation reviews
- Forced Labour Protocol
- Holidays Act Review
- Extending paid parental leave
- Equal Pay Amendment Bill
- Law change for Easter Sunday shop trading
- Employment Standards Legislation Act
- Proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Accident compensation dispute resolution review
- Increasing regulated ACC payments for treatment
- Employment Relations Amendment Act
- Minimum wage reviews
- Workplace relations in the screen sector
- Fair Pay Agreements
- Sex work in New Zealand
- Members of Parliament pay freeze and review
- Security Officers – application to amend Schedule 1A
- Employment legislation reviews
Proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal
In December 2015 we consulted on the proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal. Submissions did not support establishing a Tribunal and Cabinet decided to defer further consideration until 2019.
About the consultation
The Government agreed in June 2015 to targeted consultation on the proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal.
In December 2015, we released a discussion document seeking feedback on 2 main areas:
- who should be the decision-makers for accident compensation appeals - District Court Judges or Tribunal Members
- what rules and procedures should apply to accident compensation appeals.
View the discussion document: Proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal [PDF, 203 KB]
Submissions closed on 11 March 2016. We received 23 submissions in response to the discussion document. The majority of the feedback received was that stakeholders don't want specialist tribunals and would prefer a consistent process of appeal through the courts.
As part of the Government's response to the independent review of advocacy group Acclaim Otago's report into accident compensation dispute resolution processes, Cabinet decided to defer further consideration of a tribunal to give time for the improvements made to the dispute resolution process to bed in.
We will report on the need for a tribunal as part of finalising the Government’s response to the independent review of advocacy group Acclaim Otago's report into accident compensation dispute resolution processes.