Employment and skills
Employment legislation reviews
- Increasing the minimum sick leave entitlement
- Workplace relations in the screen industry
- Forced Labour Protocol
- Holidays Act Review
- Extending paid parental leave
- Equal Pay Amendment Act
- Law change for Easter Sunday shop trading
- Employment Standards Legislation Act
- Proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Accident compensation dispute resolution review
- Reviewing regulated ACC payments for treatment
- Employment Relations Amendment Act
- Minimum wage reviews
- Sex work in New Zealand
- Changes to the process for setting pay for Members of Parliament
- Security officers – additional employment protections
- Updating Accident Compensation Review Costs Regulations
- Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Day
- Changes to ACC’s Accredited Employers Programme
- Review framework for list of occupational diseases
- Contractor work in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Support workers – request for additional employment protections
- Employment legislation reviews
Law change for Easter Sunday shop trading
The Shop Trading Hours Act 1990 was amended in 2016 to enable territorial authorities to decide whether retailers in their districts can open on Easter Sunday.
Under the new law, territorial authorities can introduce local polices for shop trading in their entire district or in limited areas on Easter Sunday.
Territorial authorities must consult their communities using the special consultative procedure on any local policy to allow shop trading on Easter Sunday.
Local policies cannot control or override shop trading provisions in other legislation, such as defining specific opening hours, liquor licensing provisions or determining what types of shops may open.
Shop employees have the right to refuse to work
Easter Sunday continues to be a day of significance across New Zealand and some people would rather not work on this day.
Because of this, all shop employees can refuse to work on Easter Sunday without any repercussions for their employment relationship.
There are requirements associated with this right to refuse to work on Easter Sunday for both employers and employees. Find out what the requirements(external link) are on our employment website.
Where to go for more information
Our employment website has more information as follows:
Contact your territorial authority directly for more information about proposed local policies for Easter Sunday shop trading.