Employment and skills
Employment legislation reviews
- Increasing the minimum sick leave entitlement
- Workplace relations in the screen industry
- Forced Labour Protocol
- Holidays Act Review
- Extending paid parental leave
- Equal Pay Amendment Act
- Law change for Easter Sunday shop trading
- Employment Standards Legislation Act
- Proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Accident compensation dispute resolution review
- Reviewing regulated ACC payments for treatment
- Employment Relations Amendment Act
- Minimum wage reviews
- Sex work in New Zealand
- Changes to the process for setting pay for Members of Parliament
- Security officers – additional employment protections
- Updating Accident Compensation Review Costs Regulations
- Queen Elizabeth II Memorial Day
- Consultation on ACC’s Accredited Employers Programme
- Review framework for list of occupational diseases
- Employment legislation reviews
Employment Relations Amendment Act
The Employment Relations Amendment Act 2018 gives effect to the Government’s 100-day commitments in workplace relations.
The Act's purpose
The Employment Relations Amendment Act 2018 was passed into law on 6 December 2018. It introduced a number of employment law changes that aimed to improve fairness in the workplace and deliver decent work conditions and fair wages.
The Act restored protections for workers, especially vulnerable workers, and strengthened the role of collective bargaining in the workplace. Many of the changes were familiar to businesses, as they rolled the law back to how it was as recently as 2015.
The main changes included:
- reinstating set meal and rest breaks
- strengthening collective bargaining and union rights
- restoring protections for vulnerable workers, such as those in the cleaning and catering industries, regardless of the size of their employer
- limiting 90-day trial to businesses with fewer than 20 employees.
Most changes take effect on Monday 6 May 2019.
For more detailed information on how the changes could affect you, visit the Employment New Zealand website(external link).