Employment and skills
Employment legislation reviews
- Holidays Act Review
- Extending paid parental leave
- Equal Pay Amendment Bill
- Law change for Easter Sunday shop trading
- Employment Standards Legislation Act
- Proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Accident compensation dispute resolution review
- Increasing regulated ACC payments for treatment
- Employment Relations Amendment Act
- Minimum wage reviews
- Film Industry Working Group
- Fair Pay Agreements
- Sex work in New Zealand
- Members of Parliament pay freeze and review
- Employment legislation reviews
Film Industry Working Group
The Government set up the Film Industry Working Group to recommend a way to allow film production workers to bargain collectively.
The Employment Relations (Film Production Work) Amendment Act 2010
Commonly referred to as the ‘Hobbit law’, this Act means film production workers are independent contractors, unless they are party to a written employment agreement that states they are employees.
Film Industry Working Group recommendations
The Film Industry Working Group has made recommendations to the Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety. The Government is now considering its response to these recommendations.
We were the secretariat for the Film Industry Working Group. You can contact us at EmploymentRelations@mbie.govt.nz.