Strategic Science Investment Fund
- The Institute of Environmental Science and Research
- GNS Science
- Manaaki Whenua Landcare Research
- Ngā Rakau Taketake – combatting kauri dieback and myrtle rust
- Plant and Food Research
- Cawthron Institute
- NZ Leather & Shoe Research Association
- Antarctic Science platform
- Advanced Energy Technology platform
- The Research Trust of Victoria University of Wellington
- Te Hiku Media
- University of Waikato
- University of Auckland
- Funded programmes
Antarctic Science platform
The Government is investing $49 million over 7 years in a Strategic Science Investment Fund (SSIF) platform for Antarctic science.
The platform's goals
The goals of the platform are to:
- improve scientific understanding of pressing issues such as climate change and ecosystem resilience
- safeguard the strategic benefits of New Zealand’s scientific activity in Antarctica
- optimise the value and impact of Antarctic science and Antarctic-related expenditure.
We have contracted with Antarctica New Zealand to host and implement the platform.
The science priorities
The platform will be based on 4 Antarctic science priorities, which were developed in consultation with a wide range of government and sector stakeholders.
The priorities are:
- Understanding the stability of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet
- Understanding the impacts of change in the Antarctic atmosphere and Southern Ocean
- Understanding threats to ecosystem dynamics in the Ross Sea
- Understanding connections between terrestrial and nearshore Antarctic environments, including sea ice.