Antarctic Science Platform
The Government is investing $49 million over 7 years in a new Strategic Science Investment Fund (SSIF) platform for Antarctic science.
The platform's goals
The goals of the platform are to:
- improve scientific understanding of pressing issues such as climate change and ecosystem resilience
- safeguard the strategic benefits of New Zealand’s scientific activity in Antarctica
- optimise the value and impact of Antarctic science and Antarctic-related expenditure.
We have contracted with Antarctica New Zealand to host and implement the platform.
The science priorities
The platform will be based on 4 Antarctic science priorities, which were developed in consultation with a wide range of government and sector stakeholders.
The priorities are:
- Understanding the stability of the West Antarctic Ice Sheet
- Understanding the impacts of change in the Antarctic atmosphere and Southern Ocean
- Understanding threats to ecosystem dynamics in the Ross Sea
- Understanding connections between terrestrial and nearshore Antarctic environments, including sea ice.