Responsible Camping Working Group
The Responsible Camping Working Group includes representatives from local and central government, and tourism sector agencies.
The role of the Working Group
The Responsible Camping Working Group was set up in April 2018 to provide the Minister of Tourism with:
- an evaluation of the role of responsible camping in New Zealand's tourism and recreation offering
- recommendations for better management of the camping system
- practical actions to support councils to manage freedom camping in their regions during the 2018/19 peak summer season.
Working Group members
The Responsible Camping Working Group members are:
- Mayor Hon Steve Chadwick, Rotorua District
- Mayor Jim Boult, Queenstown Lakes District
- Mayor Tim Cadogan, Central Otago District
- Deputy Mayor Andrew Turner, Christchurch City
- Chris Roberts, Tourism Industry Aotearoa
- Grant Webster, Tourism Holdings Limited
- Bruce Lochore, New Zealand Motor Caravan Association
- a senior official from the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE)
- a senior official from the Department of Internal Affairs
- a senior official from the Department of Conservation.
We collaborate with the Department of Internal Affairs, the Department of Conservation, and Local Government New Zealand to support the Working Group.
Recommendations of the Working Group
In July 2018 the Working Group presented its recommendations to the Minister of Tourism.