Government’s Tourism Snapshot
- Foreword from the Minister of Tourism
- The outlook for New Zealand-Aotearoa tourism
- Achieving the vision for tourism
- Transitioning to a regenerative tourism model
- Transforming the foundations of the tourism system
- Destination brand building and improving the visitor experience
- Supporting communities to manage tourism
- Working in partnership with others
- Government’s Tourism Snapshot
Transitioning to a regenerative tourism model
Central to the Government’s vision for tourism, is the goal of transitioning to a regenerative tourism model.
Regenerative tourism ensures that tourism gives back more to people and places than it takes. Tourism must add more than only economic value, it must actively enrich our communities and help protect and restore our environment.
Building a regenerative model for tourism is important for ensuring the long-term sustainability and resilience of tourism. As tourism is a significant sector of our economy, building a regenerative tourism sector will also contribute to wider efforts to decarbonise our economy.
Regenerative tourism will ensure that visitors to New Zealand- Aotearoa have a positive impact on our communities and leave as storytellers who are able to share our unique culture and heritage with the world.
Current work underway to deliver a regenerative tourism model is aimed at:
- transforming the foundations of the tourism system
- destination brand building and improving the visitor experience
- supporting communities to manage tourism
- working in partnership with others.
Regenerative tourism ensures that tourism gives back more to people and places than it takes.
Text description of infographic
Enrich Aotearoa New Zealand through sustainable tourism growth
Productive, sustainable and inclusive growth
Achieve better tourism outcomes by building better partnerships with Māori tourism enterprise, iwi,
hapū and tangata whenua
Te Ōhanga | The economy
Tourism sector productivity improves
Ngā manuhiri o te ao, Aotearoa anō hoki | International and domestic visitors
Aotearoa New Zealand delivers exceptioanl visitor experiences
Te Taio | The environment
Tourism protects, restores and champions Aotearoa New Zealand's natural environment, culture and historic heritage
Tātou o Aotearoa me ō tātou hapori | New Zealand and our communities
New Zealanders' lives are improved by tourism
Ngā rohe | Regions
Tourism supports thriving and sustainable regions