Proposed exemptions to Companies Act and Limited Partnerships Act requirements
01 April 2022, 5pm
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment is consulting on behalf of the Registrar of Companies on proposed exemptions from requirements in the Companies Act 1993 and Limited Partnerships Act 2008.
The proposed exemptions will exempt companies and limited partnerships affected by COVID-19 from compliance with certain obligations under the Companies Act 1993 (the Companies Act) and the Limited Partnerships Act 2008 (the Limited Partnerships Act).
The effect of the proposed exemptions is to modify or relax the requirements to comply with the following procedural and administrative matters in the Companies Act and Limited Partnerships Act:
- time frame requirements in relation to holding annual meetings (section 120 of the Companies Act);
- time frame requirements for financial reporting duties (sections 201, 202, 204 and 207E of the Companies Act and sections 75 and 75C of the Limited Partnerships Act); and
- time frame requirements for annual reports (sections 208 and 209 of the Companies Act).
The Registrar has the power to grant these proposed exemptions under section 26A of the COVID-19 Response (Requirements For Entities—Modifications and Exemptions) Act 2020 (the COVID-19 Act).
The proposed exemptions would apply to acts and omissions that occur within the period that starts on 3 November 2021 and expires at either the end of 30 April 2022 or, if applicable, the end of any ‘Further Period’ (no later than 30 October 2022) if the powers to create exemptions in the COVID-19 Act are extended.
If affected persons want to rely on an exemption, they will be subject to a number of proposed conditions. In particular, it will be necessary to explain to the Registrar why:
- complying with the relevant provision is unduly onerous or burdensome because of the effects of COVID-19; or
- the relevant provision is not reasonably capable or being complied with, or complied with fully, because of the effects of COVID-19.
Published: 28 Mar 2022
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment is consulting on behalf of the Registrar of Companies on proposed exemptions from certain requirements in the Companies Act 1993 and Limited Partner…
PDF, 337KB, 14 pages
Submissions on the consultation document
We received 1 submission listed below:
Last updated: 08 April 2022