Current board vacancies
This page provides details of current vacancies for boards that we monitor on behalf of responsible ministers.
On behalf of the responsible ministers, we are seeking expressions of interest for the board positions as set out below.
Commerce Commission Associate Member
Posted on: 18 February 2020
Application closes on: 5:00pm 16 March 2020
Location: New Zealand
Category: Board and Governance
Position Type: Part-time
On behalf of the Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs, the Ministry is seeking candidates who wish to be considered for appointment as an associate member of the Commerce Commission (the Commission).
At this time, the Ministry is looking for a candidate who is a qualified economist, preferably with recognised expertise in competition and/or regulatory economic analysis, and an understanding of a range of methods, models and techniques engaged in economic analysis in competition and/or regulatory settings. Other candidates with relevant analytical skills and experience may also be considered.
The general skills, experience, and attributes required for an associate member are:
- the ability to make timely, principled, and analytically-robust decisions on important competition and/or regulatory issues
- a clear sense of public accountability and understanding of the relationships between Government and Crown entities
- strong relationship management skills and working effectively in a collegial, decision-making environment with other Commissioners and with Commission staff
- strong communication skills, including the ability to reason objectively, convey ideas clearly and accurately, and structure and direct work constructively
- an appreciation of diversity, and ability to promote effective working relationships and manage tensions arising from any diversity of thought.
Please note this is a contestable process and applications will be assessed according to the skills and experience the Commerce Commission requires at this particular time.
MBIE is committed to considering candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds, including age, gender, ethnicity and geographic locations, to enable the Commerce Commission to be high-performing.
Candidates wishing to put forward an expression of interest should enclose a copy of their CV and submit a cover letter outlining why they wish to be an associate member of the Commerce Commission. Please refer to the attached position description for more details.
Applications close on Monday, 16 March 2020.
For enquiries about the position, please contact email@example.com