New Zealand Cycle Trails funding
Up to $8 million is available annually for the maintenance, development and promotion of the New Zealand Cycle Trails (NZCT).
In February 2020, the 2 NZCT Funds, the National Cycleway Fund and the Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund, were combined.
The new fund is called the Ngā Haerenga, the New Zealand Cycle Trails Fund (NZCT Fund). Funding is limited to the maintenance, development and promotion of Ngā Haerenga, the New Zealand Cycle Trails, and includes operational funding to New Zealand Cycle Trails Incorporated.
The NZCT Fund makes funding available to organisations who manage Great Rides for:
- Major enhancements and extensions to existing Great Rides by means of a comprehensive business case application process
- Minor enhancements and maintenance projects on existing Great Rides up to $300,000 with matching co-funding by means of an annual competitive funding round (opening in August each year)
- Extreme event recovery works on Great Rides to reopen and repair sections of trail that have been damaged by extreme events such as storm damage, fire, flooding or single event vandalism
- Funding for Great Ride trail managers and some of the trails’ operational costs (up to $45,000 per Great Ride per annum)
- Operational funding for Ngā Haerenga New Zealand Cycle Trails Incorporated. Annual funding of $250,000 is provided to NZCT Inc. for operational costs.
NZCT evaluation panel
All funding applications are assessed by a panel that makes recommendations to the Tourism Minister or MBIE Chief Executive (or their delegate) as appropriate.
MBIE appoints the panel, which includes:
- the Chair of NZCT Inc or their representative
- a cycle trail technical expert
- representatives from the Department of Conservation, Waka Kotahi and MBIE.
Funding decisions about the major enhancements to existing Great Rides, Great Rides trail managers and Ngā Haerenga New Zealand Cycle Trails Incorporated are made by the Tourism Minister. Funding decisions about the minor enhancements and maintenance for the Great Rides and extreme events recovery funding are made by the MBIE Chief Executive or their delegate.
In this section
Information about the type of funding available and eligibility criteria.
Funding granted to the 23 Great Rides since the inception of the Ngā Haerenga, the New Zealand Cycle Trails in 2010 is listed by trail, and includes the year funding was allocated, as well as the type, amount and a summary of the project.