Employment and skills
Employment legislation reviews
- Forced Labour Protocol
- Holidays Act Review
- Extending paid parental leave
- Equal Pay Amendment Bill
- Law change for Easter Sunday shop trading
- Employment Standards Legislation Act
- Proposed Accident Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Accident compensation dispute resolution review
- Increasing regulated ACC payments for treatment
- Employment Relations Amendment Act
- Minimum wage reviews
- Workplace relations in the screen sector
- Fair Pay Agreements
- Sex work in New Zealand
- Members of Parliament pay freeze and review
- Security Officers – application to amend Schedule 1A
- Employment legislation reviews
Fair Pay Agreements
The Government is considering options for the detailed design of a Fair Pay Agreement system.
These Agreements will be a set of occupation and sector-specific minimum employment standards, such as wages, redundancy, or overtime. They will be agreed through bargaining between affected workers and employers, and will then become legal requirements in that sector.
Fair Pay Agreement discussion paper
In October 2019, the Government released a discussion paper that seeks feedback on a range of options for the design of a Fair Pay Agreements system. The consultation is open until 27 November 2019.
Fair Pay Agreement Working Group
A Fair Pay Agreement Working Group was set up in June 2018 to make recommendations on the design of a sector-level bargaining system. It was chaired by Rt Hon Jim Bolger ONZ.
The Working Group looked at:
- the criteria and process to initiate bargaining on a Fair Pay Agreement
- how bargaining participants will be identified and selected
- what Fair Pay Agreements should cover in terms of scope
- bargaining rules and dispute resolution processes, and ratification and enforcement of Fair Pay Agreements.
The Working Group provided its recommendations to the Minister for Workplace Relations and Safety in December 2018.