Infectious Diseases Research Platform
We are seeking to fund a host to coordinate the development of a research platform to ensure New Zealand has world class research capability to respond to serious infectious disease threats.
This funding opportunity aims to build and coordinate domestic research capability in infectious diseases and improve New Zealand’s preparedness for future pandemics.
The primary responsibility of the host will be to coordinate the development of an Infectious Diseases Research Platform Plan that meets the objectives of the research platform and will:
- continue to address COVID-19 and other serious infectious diseases in New Zealand.
- support New Zealand’s Health Research Strategy and infectious disease research priorities of key stakeholders and Māori as Treaty partners.
- link with international research.
The funding available
The total funding available is $36 million over 3 years. The funding will be split in the following way:
- Establishment of a host and development of a platform plan up to $500,000 (excluding GST).
- Delivery of a research platform up to a maximum of $35.5 million (excluding GST).
For a proposal to be considered for assessment, it must meet the eligibility criteria set out below.
The host will:
- be a New Zealand-based research organisation or a New Zealand-based legal entity representing a New Zealand-based research organisation.
- not be a department of the public service as listed in Schedule 2 of the Public Service Act 2020.
- meet any applicable timing, formatting, system, or other similar administrative requirements outlined in this Call for Proposals for a Host.
- agree to the terms and conditions of the funding set out in the draft funding agreement for an establishment of a Host phase.
Full details on fundable activities, the eligibility criteria, the application process, the assessment criteria against which eligible applications will be assessed, and the reporting requirements are detailed in a Call for Proposals.
MBIE’s Deputy Secretary, Labour, Science and Enterprise will make the final investment decisions on the selection of a host. Recommendations to the Deputy Secretary will be developed and approved by the Host SSIF Assessment Panel, through its Chair, the General Manager of Science Systems Investments and Performance.
We will notify applicants of the funding decision and publish the decision on our website.
For proposal queries, email SSIF.firstname.lastname@example.org