Funding applications are submitted to MBIE and processed in the Investment Management System (known as the IMS portal).
Personal information will be collected through MBIE’s Investment Management System (IMS) when you either:
- register your organisation and apply for funding through the IMS portal
- make a report against your contract through the IMS portal
- register as an assessor or researcher and complete a profile in IMS portal
Personal information will be collected for the purposes of the grant funding process to:
- Assess the capability of the research or project team named in the applications, for example information relating to the individuals’ field of research and professional experience. This may be captured in an uploaded CV format or in individual fields within the IMS portal.
- Help match assessors’ technical expertise with applications for assessment. For example assessors’ availability, field of research, ORCID unique ID and personal bios will be collected and used to identify conflicts of interest and align assessors to applications.
- Identify trends and gaps in national expertise or capability for research and statistical purposes. For example diversity information such as gender, age, ethnicity etc. may be collected in some application processes.
- Evaluate performance and impact of funded research, for example information collected during the course of the contract such as an individual’s role in the outputs of the research.
Not all personal information is mandatory to provide, however failure to provide the personal information that is required for assessors and decision makers to make an informed decision, for example CV’s of research team members, may affect the outcome of the assessment.
Information used for statistical or research purposes, such as gender or diversity information is voluntary to provide.
Your personal information will be stored in MBIE’s IMS and DataMart. From 2018 personal information will be integrated into a National Research Information System database (NRIS).
All personal information will be viewable by authorised MBIE staff responsible for administrating the IMS and managing the funding and contracting process. Staff in the applicant organisation who are responsible for preparing and submitting applications will also be able to view personal information for future applications.
Data integrated into NRIS will be accessed by NRIS developers and authorised MBIE staff involved in data evaluation.
Personal Information in the application form that is captured to assess capability of the research team will be shared with contracted assessors and decision makers.
Personal information that is professional by nature such as name, affiliation, role in a research team and outputs of the research will be publically available through NRIS. Personal diversity information that is considered sensitive such as gender, age, ethnicity etc. will be displayed publically at an aggregated level and will not be identifiable to an individual.
MBIE will not share personal private information collected in IMS unless it is necessary for the purposes outlined in this statement or otherwise permitted by law. MBIE may be required to disclose information under the Official Information Act 1982 or to a Parliamentary Select Committee or Parliament in response to a Parliamentary Question.
We will keep your personal information for lawful business purposes, such as processing the applications made by your organisation or completing analysis. Your information will then either be disposed of securely, or transferred to Archives NZ as required by the Public Records Act 2005.
You have the right to:
- Find out from us whether we hold personal information about you
- Access that information
- Request corrections to that information, if applicable.
In accordance with the ‘Privacy Act 1993’, we reserve the right to refuse your request if we have a good reason. In the event MBIE refuses your request you are entitled to request a statement to explain why.
If you wish to check personal information held about you, contact the Investment Operations Team on firstname.lastname@example.org or write to MBIE, Investment Operations Team, PO Box 1473, Wellington.
For more information on the privacy laws in New Zealand and contact details for the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, please visit the Privacy Commissioner's website.
Cookies are small text files that are placed in your browser by the websites you visit. They are widely used to help users navigate websites efficiently, to perform certain functions on the sites, and/or to provide site owners with information about how their sites are used.
Web analytics cookies
We also use tracking cookies with the Google Analytics web analytics tool to analyse non-identifiable web traffic data to improve our services. This data is aggregated and cannot personally identify you. Our web analytics will also respect any “do not track” setting that you might have set on your browser.
To disable all cookies
Most web browsers will allow you to set some control over cookies in your browser settings. This includes deleting them from your browser or disabling them altogether.
If you do choose to set your browser to disable all cookies, this may affect your ability to use some of the features on our site.