Partnering with KiwiBuild
Incentives to partnering with KiwiBuild
KiwiBuild is multi-billion dollar programme over the next 10 years that provides incentives for property developers to build more affordable homes, faster. This is done in a number of ways, including:
- Reducing risk for developers by underwriting homes in new developments
- Making land available for development
- Integrating affordable housing into major urban development projects
Criteria for developers
KiwiBuild needs to ensure the right developers are on board to build quality first homes for Kiwis. To be part of our initiative we look at:
Developer track record and financial capacity
- If there is a market for the product offered
- If the proposed price is market-competitive
- If the development is in a priority area
- If the proposed development meets KiwiBuild objectives and aligns with the KiwiBuild brand
Land for Housing
The Land for Housing programme aims to increase the supply of new dwellings and to increase the pace of developments, in collaboration with iwi/hapū and private developers.
- identifies vacant or under-utilised land that is suitable and available for housing development
- acquires available land in suitable locations, whether from Crown agencies or from private vendors
- on-sells that land to developers, who use their own capital to develop the land
- requires each site be developed subject to conditions that facilitate the construction of dwellings to increase and accelerate housing supply.
Across the Land for Housing programme the Government’s objective is to make 20% of the dwellings available for public housing and a further 40% at (or below) the KiwiBuild price points.
The Land for Housing programme expands the former Crown Land Development programme, including making it a national programme and providing scope to acquire both private or Crown land.
Development partners for Land for Housing
Three panels of private developers have been established to take up any development opportunities that do not fall to iwi under the Land for Housing programme.
|Low density||Medium density||High density|
|1||Fletcher Residential Ltd||Ockham Residential||Fletcher Residential Ltd|
|2||The Neil Group Ltd||Fletcher Residential Ltd||Classic Group Ltd|
|3||Classic Group Ltd||Classic Group Ltd||Urban Growth Partners|
Buying off the Plans
The Buying off the Plans initiative involves the Government underwriting or purchasing new homes off the plans that the private sector or others are leading, in exchange for accelerating a greater number of affordable, KiwiBuild dwellings.
A common challenge faced by developers is the need to sell a significant portion of dwellings off the plans in order to secure funding for construction, which means that developments can sometimes stall or be put on hold.
The Buying off the Plans initiative involves the Government giving developers the certainty and backing they need to deliver suitable developments that would not otherwise proceed or to deliver developments at a greater pace than initially planned, in exchange for accelerating a greater number of affordable, KiwiBuild dwellings.
What to do next
If you are a builder, land developer, end-to-end developer or manufacturer go to our Partnering Opportunities page for invitations to participate or pitch.
If you want further information about partnering with KiwiBuild contact our team.