The Healthy Homes Guarantee Act (No 2) passed into law in December 2017, amending the Residential Tenancies Act 1986.
The Healthy Homes Guarantee Act enables the government to create regulations that set minimum standards to create warmer, drier rental homes (the healthy homes standards).
Healthy homes standards
The healthy homes standards will set minimum requirements for heating, insulation, ventilation, draught-stopping, drainage and the control of moisture in residential rental properties.
A discussion document [PDF 2MB] on proposed healthy homes standards is now available for comment.
The document seeks feedback on five healthy homes standards:
- Heating - what minimum achievable indoor temperature should heating devices be sized for in rental homes, where should heating be located, should landlords only be required to provide heating devices where portable electric heaters are insufficient and should certain heating devices be not acceptable?
- Insulation - what is an appropriate level of insulation for rental homes and how should the condition of insulation be assessed?
- Ventilation - what is the appropriate level of ventilation to ensure rental homes have adequate airflow in areas of high moisture?
- Moisture ingress and drainage - are existing laws for rental homes sufficient to protect against moisture and inadequate drainage or could regulations better protect against moisture entering the home?
- Draught stopping - what appropriate measures should landlords take to stop draughts in a rental home?
The discussion document also seeks feedback on the timing and phasing for when landlords must comply with the standards.
The consultation period closes at 6pm on Monday, 22 October 2018.
- Consultation – we are seeking your feedback on proposed healthy homes standards
- Two pager - Let’s make rental homes warmer and drier [PDF 319KB]
- Questions and answers on the healthy homes standards
- Cost benefit analysis [PDF 1MB]
- Otago University - Cost benefit input [PDF 703KB]
- Cabinet paper [PDF 2MB]
- Read MBIE's Impact Statement: Heating and insulation standards for residential rental properties [PDF 144KB]