Innovation Programme for Tourism Recovery
The $54 million Innovation Programme for Tourism Recovery is designed to help stimulate a shift towards a regenerative, low carbon, productive and innovative tourism sector as the sector rebuilds following the COVID-19 pandemic.
What the programme will do
COVID-19 has had a significant impact on the tourism industry and the Government has invested heavily to support the sector through the pandemic. As New Zealand’s borders reopen and international visitors return, there is a need to look to the future and understand how the sector can rebuild in a way which is regenerative, sustainable, low carbon, high skill, high wage, productive, inclusive and innovative.
The programme will:
- support the transition of the tourism sector to a high wage, low carbon model
- deliver transformational outcomes for the tourism sector
- support a successful tourism recovery
- support the intended outcomes of long-term strategic initiatives such as the Tourism Industry Transformation Plan (ITP)
- be based on a sustainable, co-investment funding model
- complement and minimise duplication of existing initiatives and programmes.
Who it will support
The Innovation Programme for Tourism Recovery is targeted at initiatives that deliver on one or more of the following outcomes:
- Climate: reduce carbon emissions in the tourism sector or have a positive impact on the climate.
- Sustainability: increase the resilience or environmental sustainability of tourism.
- Technology: lift productivity or capability of the tourism sector through technology-based solutions.
How it is funded
The Innovation Programme for Tourism Recovery is funded through underspends in the Tourism portfolio from 2021/22.
A breakdown of where the funding has been transferred from is provided in the table below:
|2020 Tourism Recovery Package - Strategic Tourism Assets Protection Programme (STAPP)||$44.076 million|
|2021 Tourism Communities: Support, Recovery and Re-set Plan package – Grant funding provided to Regional Tourism Operators Grants and Inbound Tourism Operators.||$10.150 million|
|Total funding transferred to the Innovation Programme for Tourism Recovery||$54.226 million|
Further information on the Innovation Programme for Tourism Recovery, including who is eligible for funding, the types of projects to be funded and how the programme will operate will be provided soon, following a detailed design process and expert engagement.