Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund
The Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund supports projects that maintain and improve completed sections of the Great Rides of Ngā Haerenga, the New Zealand Cycle Trail.
About the Fund
The Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund provides $2 million each year to fund projects by eligible organisations.
We administer the Fund.
Who can apply
The Fund is open to Great Rides governance organisations that are:
- part of Ngā Haerenga, the New Zealand Cycle Trail
- full members of New Zealand Cycle Trail Incorporated (NZCT Inc).
The Trail must:
- have been approved for opening by us and NZCT Inc
- hold approved Great Ride status.
During a funding round, the Fund accepts applications for projects to help improve or maintain completed sections of Great Rides.
Applications must be for well-defined projects that:
- can be delivered within agreed time frames and deadlines
- will take no more than six months to complete
- are ready for construction, and
- have all required land access and resource consent permissions approved.
Applications should not be submitted if projects are still in the planning phase.
Funding can't be used to extend Great Rides beyond start and/or end points that have been approved by us and NZCT Inc.
The Fund doesn't help with building of new trails or the expansion of the New Zealand Cycle Trail network.
Successful projects are jointly funded by us and an eligible Great Rides organisation.
The organisation must be able to provide at least 50% of the total cost of the project. This is known as matched funding.
There is no limit on the amount of funding an organisation contributes to the project above the 50% minimum.
The maximum amount of government funding available for a project is $300,000.
The minimum amount of government funding available for a project is $10,000. Applying the 50% matched funding requirement, this means the minimum cost of a project must be $20,000.
The matched funding requirement can be waived, but only in exceptional circumstances where an extreme event means immediate or time-based action is required. This may include but are not limited to situations including:
- storm damage
- single-event vandalism
If an organisation can't provide the required matched funding for a project, we may consider in-kind funding of up to 25% of the total project instead.
Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund panel
Applications are assessed by a panel that makes recommendations to our Chief Executive, or their delegate.
We appoint the panel and includes:
- the Chair of NZCT Inc or their representative
- a cycle trail technical expert
- representatives from the Department of Conservation, New Zealand Transport Authority and our Ministry.
The Chair of NZCT Inc acts as the chair of the assessment panel.
In this section
Funding rounds for the Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund occur twice a year. These projects have received funding so far.