Alignment with Workforce Development Councils
This advice has been presented with a distinct focus on the kaiāwhina health workforce, seasonal elements of horticulture, and freight, logistics and warehousing in Manawatū-Whanganui.
For that reason, we have opted to focus our alignment with relevant Workforce Development Councils Hanga-Aro-Rau, Muka Tangata and Toitū te Waiora.
The below summary highlights where alignment is between the relevant Workforce Development Council and findings from the Manawatū-Whanganui Regional Skills Leadership Group (RSLG).
Hanga-Aro-Rau Workforce Development Council represents the manufacturing, engineering and logistics industries including:
- wood manufacturing
- automotive and marine engineering
- dairy processing
- extractives and drilling
Alignment between Hanga-Aro-Rau and the Manawatū-Whanganui RSLG includes recommendations to the Tertiary Education Commission to:
- Support the unit standard review of the Level 3 Primary Products Food Processing Qualification with strands in laboratory skills, environmental systems, and product quality.
- Support of a Passenger Ropeways/Ski-Lift Mechanic qualification.
- Support of a Transport Engineering qualification.
- Support of a Ports qualifications review.
Muka Tangata is the Workforce Development Council for the food and fibre sector. This sector comprises 14 industries including:
- dairy, sheep, beef, deer, pork, poultry, and other livestock farming
- arable farming
- vegetables and fruit growing
- viticulture and winemaking
- equine, dogs and racing
- nursery, turf and gardening
- food and fibre support industries.
Alignment between Muka Tangata and the Manawatū-Whanganui RSLG includes recommendations to the Tertiary Education Commission to:
- Support the inclusion of holistic approaches to training provision which includes physical, mental, spiritual and cultural health and wellbeing of ākonga.
Toitū te Waiora
Toitū te Waiora (Community, Health, Education, and Social Services) Workforce Development Council represents sectors including:
- care services
- youth services
- disability services
- education and educational support services
- funeral services
- mental health and addictions services.
Alignment between Toitū te Waiora and the Manawatū-Whanganui RSLG includes recommendations to the Tertiary Education Commission to:
- Increase provision of all health-related qualifications/courses at Level 2 to 4 being recommended by Toitū te Waiora in Manawatū-Whanganui.