Pacific people in the technology sector
Find out about opportunities for Pacific people to get involved in the technology sector and about Pacific people who are already making technology waves.
Digital Moana forum 2018
Held in May 2018, this forum showcased Pacific people who are succeeding and navigating the different parts of the technology sector. It gave participants insights into the new and existing opportunities and technologies in which Pacific people can participate.
Forum participants heard from Pacific leaders and entrepreneurs about:
- programming, web development, gaming, and creative technology
- their career pathways into tech careers
- successes of our Pasifika people in the tech industry.
Pathways to technology careers
Several opportunities arose out of Digital Moana allowing Pacific people to be part of the tech story and success:
- Apply for a Tupu Tek internship(external link). ‘Tupu’ is a Polynesian word meaning ‘grow’ and ‘tek’ is a Melanesian pidgin term referring to technology. The name points to our joint aspiration of growing the tech sector through supporting more Pacific people to gain useful work experience and skills development within the tech sector.
- We also collaborate with Dev Academy to provide scholarships and opportunities for Pacific entrepreneurs to test their ideas. You can register your interest in participating in future hackthon events on the Dev Academy website(external link).
Video showcase of Pacific people in the tech industry
Check out how some of our Pasifika people are making waves big and small in the tech industry and what influenced their decision to get into tech.
Meet Tyrone from No Six
Koni from Manaui Media Limited
Massey from SilverStripe