MBIE’s contribution to improving the wellbeing of New Zealanders is summarised in our purpose, to grow New Zealand for all.
'Grow' relates to economic performance. To achieve the standard of living and quality of life for today and for future generations we need a well-performing economy through productive and sustainable use of resources across New Zealand.
‘For all’ means all people have an opportunity to participate in and benefit from the economy.
For MBIE, success looks like:
- Prosperous and adaptable people, sectors and regions
- People are skilled and engaged in safe and fulfilling work
- Informed consumers and businesses interacting with confidence
- Value is sustainably derived from the natural environment
- A dynamic business environment fostering innovation and international connections
These aspirations are echoed in our Māori identity – Hīkina Whakatutuki – which broadly means ‘lifting to make successful'.