Organisations we monitor
Find out about the Crown entities, Crown research institutes and other organisations we monitor.
We are responsible for monitoring 12 Crown entities. They are:
- Callaghan Innovation
- Commerce Commission
- Commission for Financial Capability (headed by the Retirement Commissioner)
- Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority
- External Reporting Board
- Financial Markets Authority
- New Zealand Electricity Authority
- New Zealand Tourism Board
- New Zealand Trade and Enterprise
- International Accreditation New Zealand
- Takeovers Panel
- WorkSafe New Zealand
We are responsible for monitoring 7 Crown research institutes. They are:
- AgResearch Ltd
- Institute of Environmental Science and Research Ltd
- Institute of Geological and Nuclear Sciences Ltd
- Manaaki Whenua – Landcare Research New Zealand Ltd
- National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research Ltd
- New Zealand Forest Research Institute Ltd
- New Zealand Institute for Plant and Food Research Ltd.
We are also responsible for monitoring 1 Crown entity company, New Zealand Growth Capital Partners Ltd and 2 Public Finance Act 1989 Schedule 4A companies, Crown Regional Holdings Ltd and Research and Education Advanced Network New Zealand Ltd.
MBIE supports ministers to make board appointments to Crown entities and other entities, including:
- occupational licensing boards
- advisory boards
- committees and panels
- dispute resolution entities
- trust boards
- industry councils.
MBIE provides policy advice to ministers, including on the appropriations for various entities, such as the Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) and Crown Infrastructure Partners Ltd.
Finally, we undertake limited monitoring of 2 incorporated societies that are not Crown entities. These are the:
- Building Research Association of New Zealand
- Heavy Engineering Research Association.