Science and the development of NZS 8510:2017 – Policy options
On: 23 October 2018
These Terms of Reference (ToR) set the parameters of the development of policy options for the Minister of Commerce and Consumer Affairs (the Minister) to consider in relation to:
- better scientific input to inform the development of New Zealand Standards
- how standards development committees are formed
- how conflicts of interest are managed on standards development committees
- better guidance on consensus decision making procedures
- the process to revise, amend, or develop new standards
The Minister has asked the Prime Minister’s Chief Science Advisor (PMCSA) to work jointly with the Ministry of Business, Innovation, and Employment (MBIE) on the science-focussed elements of this work.
This work is forward-looking and is meant to learn from the development of and response to NZS 8510:2017 Testing and decontamination of methamphetamine-contaminated properties and embed those lessons in the policy and processes for the development of future New Zealand Standards.