Fuel quality monitoring
About Trading Standards' fuel quality monitoring work.
What we do
Trading Standards maintains and administers the Fuel Quality Monitoring Programme. This programme monitors the quality of retail fuel in New Zealand and makes sure it complies with specifications set out in the Engine Fuel Specifications Regulations. Statistical sampling is used to detect non-compliance.
The Regulations specify limits on a number of critical properties for premium and regular petrol grades, diesel, and biofuels such as biodiesel and ethanol.
Because the main focus of the Programme is to sample and test the quality of fuels as they are sold to consumers, sampling is done from dispenser nozzles at the point of sale.
- Tests fuel samples for statistical sampling, targeted projects or in response to emerging issues.
- Responds to consumer and trader complaints and enquiries.
- Develops projects in response to emerging issues.
- Contributes to work on regular amendments to the Engine Fuel Specifications Regulations.
- Maintains strong and effective relationships (as regulator) with fuel company technical managers.