Telecommunications Relay Service
Through its contracted providers the Government provides a Telecommunications Relay Service for deaf, hearing impaired, speech impaired and deafblind New Zealanders.
The current contracts for the provision of this service are due to expire in June 2019.
The Ministry of Business, Innovation & Employment undertook public consultation to determine the future of the New Zealand Telecommunications Relay Service, seeking views on what services and equipment are required to meet the needs of users.
The feedback from the consultation will help inform the Request for Proposals for the supply of the Telecommunications Relay Service, when the existing contracts expire.
The consultation closed on 13 April 2018.
A submissions summary report and the submissions to the consultation are now available to view.
Public consultation feedback
Submissions received on public consultation of the Telecommunications Relay Services
- Submission by Alana Best [PDF 397KB]
- Submission by Aphasia New Zealand Charitable Trust [PDF 394KB]
- Submission by Capital and Coast, Hutt Valley and Wairarapa District Health Board [PDF 396KB]
- Submission by Catherine and Daniel Greenwood, Rachel and Eric Coppage [PDF 213KB]
- Collective submission by Deaf community members [PDF 228KB]
- Submission by Deaf Action New Zealand [PDF 408KB]
- Submission by Deaf Aotearoa [PDF 415KB]
- Submission by Hearing Support Christchurch Inc [PDF 400KB]
- Submission by James Pole [PDF 131KB]
- Submission by Kim Robinson [PDF 393KB]
- Submission by Michael Hamill [PDF 392KB]
- Submission by Paula Haworth [PDF 393KB]
- Submission by Robert Cameron [PDF 96KB]
- Submission by Samantha Read [PDF 393KB]
- Submission by Submitter A [PDF 503KB]
- Submission by Submitter B [PDF 559KB]
- Submission by Submitter C [PDF 419KB]
- Submission by Submitter D [PDF 546KB]
- Submission by the New Zealand Audiological Society [PDF 531KB]
- Submission by the New Zealand Speech Language Therapists Association [PDF 407KB]
- Submission by the Royal New Zealand Returned and Services Association [PDF 219KB]
- Submission by T-Meeting Global [PDF 837KB]
- Submission by Vicki Terrell [PDF 394KB]
- Submission by Vodafone New Zealand Limited [PDF 324KB]
Public consultation documents
The consultation document on the Telecommunications Relay Service is available in different accessible formats:
- New Zealand Telecommunications Relay Services Beyond June 2019, public consultation document
- New Zealand Telecommunications Relay Services Beyond June 2019, summary consultation document
- New Zealand Sign Language video summary
- Cabinet paper on the consultation of the Telecommunications Relay Service [PDF 142KB]
- Current contracts for services
- Telecommunications relay services supply agreement July 2011 [PDF 843KB]
- Telecommunications relay services supply agreement July 2011 - Addendum 1 [PDF 113KB]
- Telecommunications relay services supply agreement July 2011 - Addendum 2 [PDF 366KB]
- Telecommunications relay services supply agreement July 2011 – Addendum 3 [PDF 120KB]
Information on the use of the Telecommunications Relay Service
- Monthly call minutes from March 2017 to May 2018
- Stock at Rent
New Zealand Relay Advisory Group
The New Zealand Relay Advisory Group, comprised of representatives of the user community and industry, has helped inform the development of the consultation document.
This group of consumer and industry representatives provides comment and feedback on the Telecommunications Relay Service. The group's roles and responsibilities are set out by charter.
- Read more information about the Advisory Group
- Charter for the New Zealand Relay Advisory Group [PDF 730KB]