In November 2011 Cabinet agreed that the patent attorney profession should be regulated jointly with Australia under a trans-Tasman regime. In March 2013 the Australian and New Zealand Governments signed a bilateral arrangement setting out how the trans-Tasman regime would be implemented under each country’s law.
In March 2013 Australia and New Zealand signed a bilateral arrangement for implementing the trans-Tasman patent attorney regime. The regime will provide a single system of accreditation, registration and professional regulation of patent attorneys in both countries.
The bilateral arrangement is based on Cabinet decisions made in November 2011. The arrangement is to be implemented through legislation. A Bill was introduced into Parliament in November 2015.
- Read the bilateral arrangement [PDF 107KB]
- Read the cabinet paper about implementing the trans-Tasman registration regime [PDF 187KB]
The development and signature of the bilateral arrangement followed a Cabinet decision in November 2011 for the registration regime under the Patents Act 1953 to be replaced by a single trans-Tasman registration regime for Australiana and New Zealand patent attorneys.
Discussion document and submissions
Public feedback was sought on a discussion paper concerning a single trans-Taman regulatory framework for patent attorneys. Submissions on the discussion document closed in May 2011.
- Cabinet Paper: Single Economic Market with Australia: proposal to release joint Discussion Document on Patent Attorney regulation [PDF 90KB]
- Discussion document: Trans-Tasman patent attorney regulation [PDF 830KB]
- Federation Internationale des Conseils en Propriete Industrielle (Australia) (FICPI) [PDF 63KB]
- Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys Australia (IPTA) [PDF 48KB]
- Jill Newton [PDF 34KB]
- Ronelle Geldenhuys [PDF 45KB]
- Stan Simpson [PDF 32KB]
New Zealand submissions
- AJ Park [PDF 5.6MB]
- Baldwins [PDF 3.1MB]
- CreateIP [PDF 202KB]
- Damien Broadley [PDF 88KB]
- Doug Calhoun [PDF 127KB]
- Ellis Terry [PDF 80KB]
- EverEdgeIP Ltd and others [PDF 496KB]
- Henry Hughes [PDF 5MB]
- Federation Internationale des Conseils en Propriete Industrielle (New Zealand) (FICPI) [PDF 45KB]
- New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys (NZIPA) [PDF 174KB]
- New Zealand Law Society [PDF 15MB]
- Pipers [PDF 627KB]
- PL Berry and Associates [PDF 29KB]