When the Prime Minister announced the Better Public Services targets in March 2012 he said that achieving the results would be difficult and demanding. He also said that the targets would be challenging because if they were easy they weren’t worth doing.
The Result 9 - Better for Business targets
- Business costs (effort) from dealing with government will reduce by 25 per cent by 2020, through a year-on-year reduction in effort required to work with agencies.
- Government services to business will have similar key performance ratings as leading private sector firms by 2020.
Results to December 2016
To track progress, the Result 9 Better for Business programme uses a rolling Result 9 Business Reference Survey completed by 1200 business customers every six months.
Overall effort for businesses when dealing with government dropped by one index point, from 94 in June to 93 in December, while private sector effort increased two points from 82 in June to 84 index points in December. Neither of these changes are statistically significant.
The gap between the public and private sector is now nine index points, an improvement of eight index points since 2013. Overall satisfaction with government service delivery has not changed significantly in the last two years, with results fluctuating between 57 per cent and 60 per cent.
The use of digital services (measured across a basket of nine business-facing services) increased over the six month to December 2016 from 55 per cent to 62 per cent.
Background reports and other information
- Better for Business Cross Government Customer Pain Points Research Report 2015 [PDF 1.5KB]
- R9 Business Reference Group Survey – Six Month Report to 30 December 2016 [PDF 986KB]
- R9 Business Reference Group Survey – Six Month Report to 30 June 2016 [PDF 810KB]
- R9 Business Reference Group Survey - Annual Report 2015 [PDF 1.1MB]
- Better for Business (Result 9): Business Reference Group Suvey – Annual Report 2014 [PDF 1.2MB]
- Better Public Service Programme: Result 9 - Effort required in dealing with government agencies: Baseline 2013 [PDF 2.4MB]
- Read more about Better Public Services targets on the State Services Commission website
- Read the Cabinet papers relating to the Better Public Services targets on the State Services Commission website
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 New Zealand License.