Support package for Kaikoura businesses extended
On: 9 December 2016
The wage subsidy package for quake-affected businesses in and around Kaikoura will be extended for a further eight weeks.
The package is designed to assist those companies who had experienced a sudden, large and sustained drop in revenue to retain their staff while the district recovers.
The further eight week extension is available for businesses in the Kaikoura district who face a dramatic drop in their turnover as a direct result of the earthquakes and the closure of State Highway One.
The extended support package will:
- cover up to a total of sixteen weeks at a rate of:
- $500 gross per week for a full time employee ($4,000 per person);
- $300 gross per week for a part time employee ($2,400 per person);
- not be subject to GST (i.e. so employees get a higher net subsidy);
- be backdated to the date of the earthquake and employers can ‘top up' the subsidy
The subsidy has also been extended to include businesses in Hamner and the Hurunui District who can show a sudden, large and sustained drop in revenue following the November earthquake.