Our purpose and role
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment’s (MBIE) purpose is to be a catalyst for a high-performing economy.
We develop and deliver policy, services, advice and regulation for businesses to support economic growth and the prosperity and wellbeing of all New Zealanders.
We back New Zealand’s talent, ideas and enterprise by:
- Building trusted, competitive and effectively regulated markets with participation from confident businesses and well informed consumers.
- Ensuring businesses have access to the skills they need, and that current and future demand for skills is matched by supply.
- Ensuring safe and fair workplaces.
- Developing and supporting a high-performing science and innovation system.
- Lifting businesses capability – including ideas, access to capital and relationships – so they can succeed internationally.
- Supporting the development of efficient, effective infrastructure.
- Enhancing the value of New Zealand’s natural resources.